Space Station

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Re: Space Station

Post  theaugust on Thu May 19, 2016 8:33 pm

Holding the pad out to Gad, Jarek grinned. The pad displayed a heavily modded light freighter, couple decades old as its hard angles and sharp profile betrayed. "That one's on the right wing, in the blue quadrant. I've got the registry lists." Finger swiping across the pad, ship after ship flicked over, until Jarek tapped at one. "The first step is to get into an impound. We've got three options: one of the two on the left ring, or the one on the right. The left ring was retrofitted for storage and filled to capacity decades ago. It gets very little traffic, and security's light, just regular scans and walk-throughs. I've been up there. Most of the ships are--old. Really fucking old. But there's a lot of ships. I haven't seen a fraction of what they got up there. But, anyway, the right ring is a mix of storage and station facilities. That's where security HQ is. Not the same quadrant, but--" Jarek shrugged. "Well, that's the first step. You want to hear the rest?"
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Fri May 20, 2016 6:26 pm

Gad stared at the pad without really taking in the displays for a few moments, wondering instead how long the kid - how long Jarek - had been planning this heist. Surely he should have a ship picked, or at least a preference? Gad took a deep breath, and tried to focus. It must have been his imagination, but the air seemed slightly less thick here. Imagination, or fewer bodies. Even if it wasn't too late to back out, he realized he wasn't even interested in doing so by now. Stupid as this was, Gad was starting to get kind of excited about it. The kid's enthusiasm must have been rubbing off on him.

"If the rest is how we're actually going to pull this off, then I'm all ears." Gad frowned. "Is there a reason why we should consider going anywhere *near* security for this?"
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Fri May 27, 2016 8:42 pm

At Gad's frown, Jarek grinned. "I've got a--friend who works for security. My thought was, if we go for that first freighter--" He stopped to flick back to it. His fingers hovered over its striking lines before shoving it at Gad again. "He could be a big help."

Jarek shrugged, brushing aside the modded freighter for other, older ships again. "But way I see it, whatever ship we pick, we're going to have to make sure its spaceworthy. If we pick a ship in one of the left ring impounds, it'd be a simple enough matter to slip in and out between security sweeps and do the repairs. If we pick a ship in the right ring, we'll have to sneak in and stay on the ship until we're ready to run. We'll have to depend on my friend to bring us what we need until then." Shaking his head, Jarek glanced down at the older ships dancing past. "But I don't know much about ships or engines or any of that, so we're probably going to recruit a mechanic or do a lot of tinkering. So the left ring impounds are probably our best bet."

He'd known that, but he kept hoping that, somehow, he could figure out how to get that modded freighter. Jarek couldn't even explain what it was about the ship, but ever since he'd first laid eyes on the hunk of metal, he'd wanted it. But he wanted off that station more, so he waved his own thoughts away and sighed, "Anyway, whatever ship we pick, once we get it going, we'll have to get it out into space. I figure the easiest way is to get them to vent the hold. So, we plant ourselves a bomb somewhere nearby, hide on the ship, and wait until they open the hold to vent the fire. Then we slip out, drift until we can find a freighter two classes or higher, then we can ride out in her wake. Station sensors won't be able to detect us. Course we'll need to fly right, or the bigger freighter'll detect us. That may be unavoidable." Jarek sighed, running a hand through his hair. "More important will be getting cover from the station, so we'll need to get our hands on updated astrocharts. My friend in security should be good for that, at least. After that, we just gotta plot a course to the nearest free 'port then find ourselves some work." Flashing a smile at Gad, Jarek clapped at his shoulder. "Simple enough, eh?"
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:14 pm

Gad listened to the ki—Jarek – go over the plan, trying his best to keep pessimism out of it. This was quite probably the first time Jarek had actually had an opportunity to go over the plan out loud, in full. At least, Gad hoped so, though he wasn’t sure why Jarek should have trusted him anymore than anyone else, and the younger man might have mentioned this to his friend in security, an individual Gad very much didn’t like the sound of.

While Jarek continued, Gad shifted, still getting used to the new clothes, the feel and the slightly chemical smell which was either his hair or the shirt. Probably both.

“That’s . . . a lot,” he said finally, when Jarek was finished. He tried to return the other man’s smile but was sure he looked more pained than happy. “And sure, if everything goes just right, it should be easy. But how often does everything go just right?”

He regretted saying that as soon as it was out. “Forget that. We’ll just go it step by step. So, two things to start with because I’m not entirely on board with getting more people involved . . . unless they already are involved? How well do you trust this friend in security? And did you have a mechanic in mind? I can fly a ship, unless it’s something modded or custom, but you’re right, I wouldn’t know the first thing about repairing anything major.”
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Fri Jun 03, 2016 4:37 pm

Jarek's dark eyes were intent on Gad, but he gave away little beyond his discomfort. When he gave a pained smile, Jarek chewed at the inside of his cheek. "I guess so," he mumbled. Frowning at the pad, he sighed.

He shook his head at Gad's question. "No one else is involved. You're the first person I've told." Which seemed stupid now, but as Jarek chewed at his cheek and considered Gad, Jarek still felt he could trust this man.

"I trust in how badly he wants to disappear off this station." Setting the pad down, Jarek rubbed at the back of his neck. "Probably we shouldn't involve him. I don't know any mechanics."
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:04 pm

Gad couldn’t help but feel a little relieved when Jarek admitted it might be best not to get this security personnel – friend or not – involved, and the issue of mechanic wasn’t a big one. Of all the ships in the storage bays, there had to be at least one or two that were at least space-worthy enough to get them off these station and to the next free port. It was what they did with it afterwards that might make a difference.

He glanced around. This section of the station, aside from the air feeling cleaner, was too silent. Not that Gad thought the area was haunted, that was absurd, but the place was spooky all the same. “Do you mind my asking why? Why you told me? Do I just look . . .” Gad paused, stuck his hands in his empty pockets and asked the question in as even and casual a tone as he could. “Do I look like I’ve done this before”
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:18 pm

Glancing at Gad, Jarek bit his lip and fought against the urge to grin. His dark eyes trailed up and down the other man. "Have you?"

Jarek shrugged then shook his head. "Because not particularly. You looked--desperate and miserable enough before. Definitely of a size that I could handle you, if I had to." Jarek sighed, rubbing his palms on the knees of his baggy coveralls. His eyes were down on his shoes. "I know better than to trust someone who's done this before. You know what I mean?"

At the question, Jarek looked at Gad again. Honesty like this always made Jarek nervous. His fingers kept fidgeting with the loose fabric of his coveralls, and his eyes kept flicking across Gad's face. Jarek found himself worrying how he looked to Gad, but he veered away from those thoughts as soon as they came. If Jarek started to doubt himself, he'd get self-conscious. He'd get wrapped up in the spiral of his own anxieties. He'd let slip some vaguely feminine gesture or movement, and then Gad would start to doubt. That was always how it went.

But Jarek didn't want to think about any of that. He did his best to focus on the man before him.
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Fri Jun 03, 2016 5:49 pm

“So where were you planning on getting a bomb?” Gad asked, quickly, as for some reason the younger man appeared even more uncomfortable than Gad was and he needed to give himself some time to weigh his answer to Jarek’s question.

He’d intended honesty, to a certain point, Jarek didn’t need to know every detail, but if that was going to give Jarek reason to reconsider – the younger man did have a friend in security, after all, and Gad didn’t have anyone. Aside from Jarek, that was.

Gad took a deep breath. “Actually, I, I have. Once. There wasn’t a bomb involved, it was just a short-range runner, the kind that get you off planet and not much further. I don’t think I have a record. I don’t think the owner cared enough to report the theft. But yeah. I don’t make a habit of it, though.”
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Fri Jun 03, 2016 9:33 pm

Jarek couldn't help it. He chuckled. "I was planning on building it." Shrugging, he gripped at the stone beneath him. "It doesn't have to be a bomb. Maybe we can figure out some other way once we've managed to case out the impound."

Eyes steady now on Gad's eyes, Jarek grinned. "Well, they do say appearances can be deceiving." He leaned over to tap his elbow into Gad's side. "I knew I had a good feeling about you. Sometimes you can just tell about a person."

Or maybe Jarek was just full of shit. He glanced back over at the pad. Chewing at his lip, he mumbled, "Where we going to find a mechanic willing to help us? And that we can trust?" He sighed. "And on this station? Maybe Ambriel would know. What's station time right now? Do you know?"
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Wed Jun 22, 2016 9:03 pm

It wasn't the reply Gad had been expecting, not that he had been sure what to expect. He'd been fairly certain Jarek wasn't going to tell him to get lost. After all, you can't exactly be too choosy over whether or not your partner in crime has actually committed the crime in question. Still. . . the grinning and the laughing was maybe a bit much, but he had to know by now that Jarek was naturally cheerful. Naturally cheerful, or masking his trepidation with forced cheerfulness at least.

For a moment, he hesitated over whether or not he should tell the whole story, but it wasn't really relevant right now. There'd be time for that later. "Not sure I want to ask where you learned to build a bomb," Gad said. "But since I can't think of any other option that doesn't require us tricking the sensors somehow . . . which we'd need a mechanic for, or at least someone who knew more about sensors than I do, and you're right, it's not like we can post an ad for the job so I guess we've got no choice but to ask your friend."

Gad didn't like it, but it could take weeks to find someone suitable, and they didn't have weeks. The longer they waited the more likely . . . something . . . would happen. "No idea about the time," he said. "But I'd say it's been almost three hours since we ate? Which would make it about sixteen hundred?"
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top