Space Station

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Space Station

Post  mirroredprince on Sun Jan 06, 2013 12:35 am

The over-circulated station air was stuffy, hot where there were too many people, cold in the rare deserted corners of the station where only a few drifters slept out of the way of anyone who would care.

It was an elderly structure, not designed for the traffic it now saw, but no one had yet bothered to replace it with one of the newer, better lit and better ventilated, stations.

In his past year or so of ship hopping, Gad had seen any number of different stations. None of them had been worse than this one. It didn't even have a name. Or if it did, no one seemed to remember it. Worst of all, it appeared he was stuck here. At least until he could get enough money to buy passage on a ship, or a ship with a crew dimwitted enough that he could slip aboard undetected and remain hidden.

So for the past few days, Gad had been haunting the docks, waiting and watching for an opportunity. He was vaguely aware that he hadn't bathed in any way for some time and his clothes, while no more filthy than he was, was an eclectic assortment of what were effectively rags. He did not look like someone any respectable ship captain would take aboard. Fortunately, there were plenty of discreditable captains out there in the vast depths of space.

Unfortunately, Gad couldn't think of any skills he could offer a Captain in return for passage to anywhere else. Hence paying or stowing away.

mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Space Station

Post  theaugust on Sun Jan 06, 2013 11:27 pm

Compared to Sheall with its eternally overcast skies and daily storms of silicone dusts, this space station was a paradise. Jarek still wasn't interested in sticking around for too long. He'd already been here longer than he planned. While he'd managed to save a bit of cred, it wasn't nearly enough to get him passage out of this backwater system. He needed to run a game or pull a job, neither of which would be easy.

He'd gotten the layout of the station pretty quickly. Walking along a railing above one of the docking bays, he watched crowds and ships coming and going. Only a handful came here on the regular, and even less called this place home. With so much hustle and bustle, it'd be better to have a partner, but...

Jarek sighed as he hopped down. Trusting was dangerous. He could stow away, but that was almost a sure way to end up spaced. There wasn't anything close. Why had he ever thought coming here was a good idea?

Ahead, the crowds were parting around someone. Jarek watched as a dirty, ragged man approached. Jarek didn't imagine he looked much better. Just a scrawny youth with shaggy hair in stained coveralls. No one ever gave him so much a second glance. Which was naturally how he managed to slip so easily through the crowds and slip things from their pockets.

He passed near the dirty stranger. Jarek's next mark stopped short when the youth tried to knock into him. The man frowned down at Jarek. Grinning and rubbing at the back of his neck, he said, "Ah, fuck—my bad, my bad! Crowds always get me all turned around. I mean, look at this guy!" He pointed to the dirty stranger.

His mark glanced away. Jarek slipped past and pulled the man's wallet from his pocket. He gave the dirty stranger a wink and a nod before rushing off.
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:31 pm

While he couldn't help but admire the young thief's skills, Gad didn't appreciate the kid's drawing attention to him as a diversion. As the still oblivious victim passed by, giving Gad a wide berth, Gad glanced around for signs anyone else had seen the maneuver. The crowd continued to go about his business, so even if they'd noticed, they didn't care.

Gad shook his head in disbelief, and as quickly as he could without drawing unwanted attention, followed after the kid. At least there weren't many security measures, sentient, machine or A.I.; possibly the only benefit to the station's neglected state.

He wasn't sure how best to approach the kid, though, and was too desperate to have much patience. Besides, if he waited too long he might not find the kid again.

"Kid!" Gad called. "Do you have a moment?"

mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Wed Jan 09, 2013 7:03 pm

Jarek fell into a calm but brisk pace as he wound his way away from the docks. His stomach rumbled loudly. Just as he was cutting across to head toward Stardust, someone started shouting. He glanced back to see the dirty stranger coming after him. Frowning, he stopped.

The stranger closed the distance between them, and Jarek looked him up and down again. "Sure," he said with a shrug. "I'm going to Stardust for a bite. Buy you a meal?"

Without waiting for his reply, Jarek clapped a hand on the stranger's back and then started herding him toward the diner. "Have we met?" Jarek asked, considering the man's face.
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Wed Jan 09, 2013 9:24 pm

The more he watched this kid at work, the more impressed Gad was. If only because he'd never been able to feign that amount of calm after pinching anything. Not that he was miserable at stealing, but he'd never mastered the skill.

The kid was making his way towards the station's diner, but when Gad called after him, he stopped and waited. Gad hadn't expected the kid to offer to feed him. For a moment, he was too surprised to make much response, but as he was at least somewhat wealthier, Gad would have to be insane to refuse.

Then the kid was steering him into the Stardust.

"Have we met?" Jarek asked, considering the man's face.

"No, we haven't," Gad said, stepping away from the kid as they entered the diner. It's exterior flickered, the 'r' dimmer than the rest of the name. One or two of the handful of people at the curved counter glanced up at them. "Maybe you've seen me around, though, I've been stuck on this rusting piece of shit for awhile now."
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Thu Jan 10, 2013 11:08 pm

Jarek tapped at his own nose and then nodded. "Must be it. I'm good at faces." And as he glanced around the dinner, he recognized a few, though none of them would recognize him.

After sitting down at one of the booths, Jarek grinned, "It's amazing they've managed to keep this bucket floating for so long. So, tell me: what's your name, where are you from, where are you going, and what can I do for you?"
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:28 pm

Gad grimaced slightly at the youth's boasting, but said nothing as he seated himself across from the boy. He noticed the humanoid behind the counter scowling at them and waving at the sign behind him, which read in several languages that those who could not pay would not be served. Gad turned back to the kid.

He was on the verge of snapping at the boy to keep out of his business, but the final question stopped him. Yes. What could the kid do for him?

"My name's Gad," he said, doing his best to keep his temper. "As for what you can do for me, why don't you start with showing them we can afford to pay?" He gestured towards the humanoid. "So, what's your name, kid?"
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:42 pm

Jarek fumbled in his pockets until he pulled out a credit chit and then waved it at the scowling humanoid. They plucked it from his hand, and Jarek rolled his eyes.

Looking over to his companion, he grinned, "Jarek." He grabbed at Gad's hand to give it a firm shake. "Thanks for the help, by the way. Feel free to order whatever you like." He pointed to the flickering menu displays in the table. His finger flicked and dragged over the display until illuminating a particular item. "I like the chili cheese fries. Not bad with anything resembling chili, cheese, or potatoes, but it tastes good." Leaning forward, Jarek whispered, "I don't know if you've had occasion to eat here or not, but it mostly tastes like protein blends. The burgers are bland, the eggs are okay, the bacon is awful—get the sausage—and the shakes..." Jarek leaned back and then shouted across the diner to the humanoid. "Hey—can we get a couple shakes?"

Last edited by Caligulove on Fri Jan 11, 2013 6:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : i'm a derp.)
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Sat Jan 12, 2013 7:39 pm

Gad watched intently as the kid felt for his creds, trying to get some idea how much he actually had, but there was no way to tell. At least the kid was somewhat careful, though for himself Gad would have preferred to be in a less public location, and further from the scene of the robbery.

He returned the kid's, handshake but not his enthusiasm, then turned his attention to the menu while the boy, Jarek, chattered on about the quality of the food. Gad's brows raised, then lowered. It didn't seem the wisest use for credits, but considering his own hunger, Gad couldn't blame him any.

"I'll just have the same as you," he said, looking up, the menu's fluctuating readability getting to him. "I wouldn't know a real potato if it hit me in the face, and lately I've been lucky if I can get ahold of a protein packet, let alone anything remotely resembling actual food."

The humanoid comes over, and scowls at them. "There are five different varieties of shakes. How many do two humans require and is that everything?"

"No shake for me," Gad said. "And I'll have the chili cheese fries." He looked to Jarek.
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Sat Jan 12, 2013 8:27 pm

Jarek's mirth shattered for a moment. A grimace flickered over his face, and he nodded stiffly. He'd certainly been there before. Once, delirious with hunger and exhaustion, he had begun sobbing and pleading with strangers on the street. Shaking away that memory, Jarek looked up at the humanoid and forced a smile. "Same—with a strawberry banana shake."

He fidgeted with the menu as they left. "There hasn't been decent work here in months," he mumbled. "Too many drifters have gotten caught up here. Gonna have to float on down the line if you want to have any hope at legit work." Jarek paused, thumbing off his display and looking up at Gad. He cocked his head to one side as he arched his brows. "Unless maybe you don't have a problem with less than legit..."
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Sat Jan 12, 2013 9:53 pm

For an instant, the kid lost his debonair attitude. It passed so quickly, it might have been the poor lighting. But once he'd ordered and the humanoid had gone away, he was still more uncertain than he had been since Gad had met him.

Gad tensed at the talk of work, and smiled rather bitterly at the boy's question. "What's that old expression? Beggars can't be choosy?. I guess it depends on what you have in mind. You're a little young to be hustling . . ." he sighed. It didn't do any good to make assumptions.
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Sun Jan 13, 2013 4:55 pm

"Young?" he repeated. Narrowing his eyes, he considered Gad. "You can't be that much older than me." And I killed a man when I was twelve. Jarek kept those words tucked behind his grin as he produced another credit chit with the flick of his wrist. He flipped and slipped it around his thin fingers in deft, practiced loops.

With a sigh, he flipped the chit to Gad. "When I was a kid, on Sheall, there were gangs of us—unwanted kids and the like. We had little tricks we'd play on people to distract them while slipping their chits. It's easy. It's relatively safe. But it's small time. You can feed yourself like that, but..." He shrugged and then leaned over, arms braced on the table. "There are ships here—impounded by station authority. Some have been sitting for years."
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Mon Jan 14, 2013 10:24 am

His comment about the boy's age seemed to have touched a nerve, though it had only been a fact. Gad leaned back in the hard booth, as the boy pulled out another cred, beginning to toy with it. When Jarek flipped the chit towards Gad, he slapped it to the table, drawing it back up into his hand.

The boy's story wasn't unfamiliar or surprising, until Jarek leaned forward. Though he'd been somewhat careful, it was clear what his scheme was. Gad gaped at him while the humanoid returned and set the shake in front of the kid. As soon as they left, not as quickly as he'd like, Gad glanced around. No one was paying any attention to them. Jarek couldn't possibly be that naive, even if he had apparently missed what Gad had meant by 'hustling.'

"Fuck," Gad said, finally able to put a word to what he was feeling. He leaned towards the kid, and whispered. "Look, kid, I don't know if you've ever tried to . . . acquire . . . a ship before, but are you out of your space-loving mind? Do you have any idea what they'd do to us?"
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:40 pm

Jarek's features lit with delight at the sight of his shake. Reaching for it, Jarek grinned, "You want a taste?" He took a gulp from the straw. Swallowing, he savored the sweet cold and sighed contentedly. Food was Jarek's one excess, his worst indulgence. It did not help that he was almost always hungry.

His eyes flicked back up to Gad when he swore. A sly smile tugged at Jarek's lips. "Well, that depends on which ship we attempt to acquire. Some are being held in connection with civil cases. Mostly involving the big credit agencies and the like, but—" Jarek tapped a finger on the table for emphasis. "A handful are in personal cases. Divorces, business deals gone south..." Jarek shrugged. "Your average private citizen won't even know he's been stolen from, much less be able to do anything about it."

Last edited by Caligulove on Wed Jan 16, 2013 10:41 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : dicks.)
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Thu Jan 17, 2013 6:05 pm

Gad ignored Jarek’s offer, mildly amused by how truly young the kid appeared as he enjoyed the shake. Had he ever been that innocent? Amusement turned quickly to frustration tinged with alarm, as Jarek reminded him that though he might appear it, this waifish boy was far from innocent.

In spite of himself, Gad was again impressed by the youth, if only by his confidence. Hunger, weariness with the station and his current lot in life, combined into an overwhelming desperation, which was making the kid's plan sound more and more like sense. "Maybe," Gad said, forcing himself to be cautious rather than rush into this lunacy out of impatience. "Maybe you aren't quite raving, though I still don't know how you can be so certain there's no risk."

Again, he glanced around to be sure they wouldn't be overheard. The humanoid host was talking to a woman at the counter, and a few of the other customers had left. Gad turned back to the kid. "Some private citizens would take the theft of their ship very personally." The subject dredged up things he’d rather forget, and while Gad was usually fairly confident in being able to control his emotions when he wished to, at the moment he just hoped he didn't look as uneasy as he felt.
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Fri Jan 25, 2013 4:17 pm

At the mention of risk, Jarek shook his head and sighed. His eyes drifted over the rest of the diner. If that was the direction this conversation was going to take, then Jarek was definitely talking to the wrong man. With a shrug, the young man stirred his shake. "You want no risk? I think the diner's looking for a dishwasher," he said and then pointed a thumb back to the backroom. "Of course there's risk, but there's less risk. The kind of risk we could handle."

But Gad was unsettled. Jarek frowned, watching the other man as he scoped the diner and then turned back to Jarek. Folding arms across his chest, Jarek mumbled, "If you're not comfortable with it, no one is making you. But if you want off this station..." He paused and then smiled, "You help me, and I'll get you off."
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:11 pm

Gad was still struggling to hide his unease when the kid suggested he get a job washing dishes, and it suddenly became much simpler to mask apprehension under disgust. Maybe it was naive, but he was still young enough to hope for something grander. Besides, even if Gad were going to give in to settling, it wouldn't be here.

Gad was considering how to say this without sounding like a fool, when Jarek's last comment caught him off-guard. All he could do was blink at the kid for a few moments before speaking. Trying to get a reading of the kid’s intentions. He took a deep breath. The thick gross, barely breathable recycled air made the decision for him.

“Of course I want off this hunk of debris,” he said, finally. Carefully. “And I’m not opposed to some risk . . . ” He shifted, wondering how best to reply to what else the kid had said. "So I'm in, but you don't owe me anything."

mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Tue Jan 29, 2013 1:51 pm

The mention of washing dishes had the desired effect, and even as Gad hesitated, Jarek was willing to bet money on just what the young man was going to say. So, when those words did come from Gad's mouth, Jarek couldn't help but shift forward suddenly. He clapped Gad's hand in his and grinned brightly at him, "I knew I had a good feeling about you!"

The humanoid came, then, with the food. They gave the two young men an indecipherable look, and Jarek fell back into the booth and winked up at them. They gave a sound, somewhere between a chortle and a growl, and then dropped the plates before them. Jarek watched the humanoid leave and nibbled on a fry.

"We've probably said enough about that for now," he sighed. After another couple bites, he glanced up at Gad. "We're going to have to get you cleaned up... do you have any other clothes?" He paused, holding up a finger, and then shook the finger. "No—no, this can work. This will work fine. If you don't mind playing the beggar for a bit?"
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Tue Jan 29, 2013 3:29 pm

It was far too early to regret his decision - Gad would leave that for when they were facing imprisonment or enslavement on some harsh remote world. Or execution - but the kid was far more physically demonstrative than Gad would have liked. At least he removed his hand from Gad's when the humanoid finally brought their food. Even if the kid did wink at them, suggestive.

Whether or not the food was actually good or not, it was still the best thing Gad'd eaten in a long while, and he would have been content to focus on eating. For a moment, he thought the kid would as well, but then Jarek started asking if he had any other clothing.

Which was ridiculous. If he did, he definitely wouldn't be going around looking like a tramp. Before Gad could respond, though, Jarek interrupted. At the kid’s question, Gad made a face.

“Do I have a choice?” he asked. “I was going to ask if you’d front me the credits to get in the public showers, and buy some cheap clothes.” He looked at Jarek. “It might not be a bad idea for you, either.”
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Tue Feb 05, 2013 3:02 pm

Grinning crookedly at him, Jarek replied, "What're you talking about? This is my work uniform." He flicked up the edge of his collar and then chuckled. "No one around here makes eye contact with you if you look... well, like us."

He slid a credit chit across the table. "A down payment, maybe? For future services rendered?" There was something almost playful in Jarek's voice. The words echoed in his ears, and he felt foolish. His voice had sounded so...

His lip twitched, and he had a quick bite of food followed by a swallow of shake. "You wanna met up later, then? I'm probably headed back to sleep. Been workin' the crowds for hours. You know how to get into the upper floors? The abandoned penthouses?"

[ooc|Since I'm too tired to figure out how to work this into the post... I was thinkin' maybe this station used to be some great hub of travel and trade and shit? Maybe the planet below used to be particularly unique, but then there was a major extinction event or some shit and now it's just desolate. ANYWAY, point being that maybe the station used to have a lot of rich people who had some swank apartments that are now mostly abandoned since the money stopped flowin' in?

This is all off the cuff brainstorming. So, feel free to do whatever with it. I should probably post this in the planning thread but ohohoho lazy, aren't I annoying?]
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:18 pm

Considering the kid was far more presentable he was, Gad didn't bother arguing. He wasn’t looking forward to using the public showers himself, but he was less fond of feeling and looking and almost certainly smelling as if he hadn’t bathed in weeks.

Gad frowned when Jarek’s mentioned ‘services rendered,’ but picked up the credit without comment, tucking it away with the first. The kid’s last remark surprised him. Not the sleeping, that made sense, but the second. That particular area of the station, though not explicitly labeled off-limits, never seemed particularly welcoming. Or maybe that was his own apprehension. It wasn't as if the apartments were haunted. The former residents had simply abandoned the station when their fortunes or at least those of the system had changed.

“I know where they are,” Gad said, lowering his voice only for secrecy's sake. It wouldn’t do to seem afraid of the penthouses, not after his earlier hesitation. “Any particular place you’re thinking of?”

ooc: Not annoying, no. Silly, yes. All good brainstorming, though.

Last edited by mirroredprince on Thu Feb 07, 2013 4:25 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : hit 'Send' instead of 'Preview.')
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Fri Mar 01, 2013 1:40 pm

It was only then that Jarek hesitated. He realized, quite suddenly, the implications of his answer, and he considered Gad. He was taller than Jarek, bigger but not much, but Jarek got the feeling he'd have no trouble handling Gad if he had to. Nodding, Jarek picked through his pockets until he found his pad and pen. He jotted down a series of directions—which lift to take, where to turn, which landmarks to look for—and then drew a simple map. He put an X on a particular alcove.

Pointing to the spot, he glanced back up at Gad. "I'll met you here—in the atrium with the fountains." He paused, realizing that described most of the atriums on that level. "And there's this statue of some guy with a bird in his hand..." He drew a circle on the map. "Here. I'm probably making this overly complicated, but..." Shrugging, he tore off the paper and held it out to Gad. "We gotta figure out how much we can trust each other, yea?"
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Sun Mar 03, 2013 10:24 pm

“Yeah,” Gad replied, taking the paper from Jarek and pocketing it along with the two chits. He finished his meal, considering mentioning he’d never been to that level before, but wasn’t sure it was necessary and didn’t want kid to think he was afraid. Gad stood. It didn’t bother him overly that he hadn’t been given an exact time. Being off world for so many years, he’d gotten used to time being an abstract concept. “I’ll see you there.”

He nodded at Jarek, then turned and left the diner, heading towards the public showers. Whether or not he’d feel the same about the kid’s lunatic scheme after bathing and a change of clothes, Gad didn’t know. He suspected he’d go through with it, even so. As far as it got, anyway.
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Thu May 21, 2015 7:06 pm

Gad left, and for a moment, Jarek started to doubt. His own words rung in his ears. How much did he trust Gad? Jarek felt of the remaining chits in his pocket and hurried from the diner back up toward the docks. Maybe he was trusting Gad too much, but maybe it was time to take a chance. Unless Jarek misread the look of Gad's dark eyes, the man had no ill intents, and that was enough. All they needed was to get the hell off this station. It's not like Jarek was inviting the man to his bed or even into his home.

Not that Jarek's "home" was much to speak of. He threaded his way through the docks and back to the abandoned lifts. Since no one officially lived up in the penthouse district anymore, the station hadn't bothered to maintain the extravagant lifts. Two of them had been stripped for parts, picked over and cleaned out so thoroughly that they were nothing but two hollow tubes running through the middle of the station. The remaining three no longer ran, but the poor and industrious had managed to rig together a system of pulleys and leads. After prying open the doors, Jarek coiled a rope about his waist and wrist before stepping off the edge. He swung, grabbed another cable, and then pulled himself up. His arms were rubbery by the time he pried open the exit to the penthouses.

He looped his way through dark passages and empty corridors. Doubling back now and again, he fiddled with the chits in his pocket. He needed to go ahead and empty these before their original owners cancelled them, but he also didn't need anyone following him home. Once he was satisfied no one was, he slipped past his makeshift defenses and traps, moved the rubble aside, and slipped into the vacant apartment that was, for now, home. He settled down at his computer and systematically worked through the chits. It was enough for food, maybe some beer, but he needed to get himself hard currency if he was serious about getting away from this place.

If? Smirking, he went to flip through the datapads he kept in a crate by his bed. He pulled out one with a cracked screen. After a bit of jiggling and smacking, light flickered under the cracks, and he grinned. It wasn't hard currency, but it was nearly as good. He tucked the pad into his coveralls and then slipped out.

The atrium was not far from his makeshift home. He arrived early. Or at least he hoped so? For a while, he sat beneath the statue. Its veneer, whatever precious metal it had been, long ago chipped away, it was a rough, jagged representation of a man holding out his hand. Blocky wings curled out from the lump perched on his wrist. Jarek stared up at it as he kicked his heels against the stone wall under him. The only sounds in the atrium were the low whir of the air processors and the echoing tap of his sole on stone.

He stopped. Waited. Studied the statue a bit longer. Grinning, he scrambled up, pulling himself up its wide marble base. The legs of the statue were nearly as thick as Jarek's waist. He reckoned it out to be easy enough to scale up and hang off the back. It'd give him a better view. And he could do it. Seemed good enough reason.

So, he did it. Gripped and pulled his way up. Hands on the broad span of the statue's shoulders, Jarek pushed himself up and scanned the wide expanse of the atrium. Once, this had been a grand walkway for the penthouse owners. Green and golden once—or maybe it'd been gilt with silver or some other precious metal. It was all the same, really. In the end, he had no way of knowing how it had been when this place wasn't a picked over, run down shithole, so wasting time wondering about how it had been seemed frivolous.

Still he did. He looked out across the expanse and saw bare beds of cracked earth overgrown with green, crumbled piles of stone and metal towering and arching and surrounding—idle fancy. That's all it was. Didn't put food in your belly or make you a safe space to sleep. Didn't make you smarter. Or richer. Or much of anything except a fool with a head full of idle fancy.

Maybe he was a fool, but he had a plan. Dropping down, he sat on the statue's base. He tugged the pad back out and jiggled and smacked it. The light flickered out from his palm, and he smiled. First, a ship—small enough to ride out in the wake of a freighter but big enough to be of use. For cargo and crew and all the rest. Flicking through the old datapad, Jarek began to giggle.
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Sun May 24, 2015 8:27 pm

Leaving the Stardust, Gad considered that whatever else came of this tentative partnership, at least he'd had more of a meal than he-didn't-know-how-long. A change of clothes. There were a handful of shops - more booths shoved into corners of the Station, really - that dealt in pre-owned clothes and didn't much care who you were so long as you could pay. The clothes might be colorless and smell of stale air, but they were clean and cheap.

That done, Gad made his way to the showers. He'd rather go in an hour where they were little used, but there weren't many making use of them at the moment. He stripped and tossed his old clothes. It would've been wiser to keep them, but he didn't care about that at the moment. Wisdom had nothing to do with what he and the kid were considering. Gad put his creds into the slot. The water was recycled - a spray of chemicals more than pure water, really - but it still felt magnificent. Gad scrubbed himself, ignoring the man in the shower next to him, sticking in the shower until the spray shut off and regretting it. It had been a long time.

The clothes felt unfamiliar. They didn't fit much better than his old clothes had, but they looked a bit better. Gad left the showers. Now he had to find his way to the penthouses. Maybe it had been a mistake not telling the kid that he'd never been there. But how hard could it be? After some searching, he finally located a beggar woman who showed him the way to the elevator shafts. Gad sighed.

He wasn't used to this kind of work. The kid - Jarek. If they were going to be partners in crime, he could at least use the kid's name - was tougher than he looked, but that was common. Eventually, with aching muscles, Gad made it to the right floor. After some time of searching, he came to the atrium. Jarek was beneath the statue.

"Hey kid . . . Jarek." Gad crossed the room to stand beside the younger man. "Guess I'm stupid enough to do this after all," he said. "So, what's our next step?"
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

View previous topic View next topic Back to top