Preliminary Thoughts on D&D Style Adventures/Campaign/Setting

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Preliminary Thoughts on D&D Style Adventures/Campaign/Setting

Post  mirroredprince on Thu Nov 15, 2012 4:48 pm

I'm not 100% sure the best way to work this out. It could be a straight-up D&D game run on the forums, with character sheets and dice rolls and XP and all the things. I was originally skeptical of that working, but my D&D group has done some decent RP in the forums, even including a couple of battles. So it's not impossible.

The other option would be just RP storytelling set in a D&D-esque environment. There are pros and cons to both.

Pros D&D Style

-Encourages party-style cooperative play
-Relatively Structured
-Everyone interested in DMing, writing adventures/campaigns, etc can get a chance to test out some concepts

Cons D&D Style

-Might end up focusing too heavily on combat
-XP is complicated

Pros Freestyle RP

-A lot more freedom with character creation
-More focus on writing and creativity

Cons Freestyle RP

-Can be unstructured

Ok, I am sure there are other things I'm not thinking.

Setting: I am pretty good with anything, but I'm thinking of staying away from generic European Medieval Times. Nothing wrong with Medieval Times, but I'm interested in more of a Middle Eastern setting, maybe. Or islands. Or something else.
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Preliminary Thoughts on D&D Style Adventures/Campaign/Setting

Post  theaugust on Fri Jul 24, 2015 10:04 pm

i sent you a message on facebook, but figured i would bump this thread with ideas.

maybe we could adapt the d&d rules a bit?  try something like affording a flat number for combat events based on level.  so, 250 per combat event at level one, which would mean leveling after four.  (a combat event could be any situation where there's danger or peril.  so it could be extended to include things like exploring bobby-trapped dungeons or whatever easily.)  if we kept it 250 for the next level, you'd level after eight.  then twelve, sixteen, and so on.  leveling would become pretty difficult farther along, but that seems pretty realistic to me, so i'd be fine with it?  we could also up the exp reward every level or every five or whatever.  i think this could fix most of the cons of working with the D&D rules.

as far as setting, "Middle Eastern setting, maybe. Or islands." makes me think Cyprus, makes me think of exploring ruins and the clash and mesh of cultures and mmmyes.
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Sun Jul 26, 2015 11:29 am

As mentioned on FB, you've solved the problems with the D&D rules so I think we're good to go there.

Cyprus sounds about right so far as locale. 

What I'm running up against now is my obsession with bringing back a lot of characters that I never got to play with much/at all (maybe blend Collisten and Mathias into one Bard because I seriously don't need an entire band. . . but they are so different :\) but I thought maybe we could have like, a regular text-based roleplay with ALL THEM and then in addition do the actual party- missions/combat in the same way that Dragon Age or Mass Effect would have you just select the members going with you on that particular mission?

I don't know that's just one way I thought of doing it so I could satisfy my need for a million characters. How does that sound?
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:23 pm

I LOVE THAT IDEA YES PLEASE because I am also thinking about playing other characters like Daegan or Vervain or Mahdi--

can I play an orc?
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:24 pm

Wait. Never mind. I can't see Mahdi leaving his tribe to help elves.
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:25 pm

But orcs...
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Sun Jul 26, 2015 3:33 pm

More importantly, how do you want to do stats? I think we're starting at level 3? Or maybe 4?
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Sun Jul 26, 2015 4:33 pm

Haha absolutely you can be an orc. There's probably even a way to get this Mahdi involved (like if the party encounters his tribe and something happens so where he would want to come the them for awhile at least? I don't know.)

I think start at level 3 so the characters can be competent but still a lot of opportunity for growth?

Creating a new place for character information now.
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  theaugust on Sun Aug 09, 2015 11:21 pm

okay, i guess character/story planning goes here?

For Otto, his goals are pretty clear and pretty simple: care for his mother.

Bayard is obviously all about vanquishing evil. For someone who has been trained as a holy warrior, he tends to enjoy life's pleasures a bit too much, esp. nice clothes, hot baths, soft beds, ale, wine, more ale. So, if he starts keeping "questionable" company or involved in the wrong kinds of stuff, I could see maybe him getting in trouble with his Order or something? But mostly I'd just like to get him out there and developing as a person because his head is full of a lot of nonsense.

Jo likes to read and experiment (a.k.a., "blow shit up into sparkles"). She's pretty clueless when it comes to life outside wizardry. I figure she has a hard time fitting in. She's had several apprenticeships, and every time she's blown up or wrecked something one too many times for her poor master's patience. She can be very abrasive and has no idea. ...I don't know where I'm going with this?

Anyway, Orestes and Neia are all about scamming nobility. That is their thing. I could see them working for Sly, at least from time to time. I can also see them wanting to get close to Ilmus.
theaugust

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  mirroredprince on Mon Aug 10, 2015 8:59 pm

Seems as good a place as any. I am so bad at this . . . 

Brannick – Superficially, he’s motivated only by greed, though it would be more honest to say his driving force is Survival – physically, but also psychologically and emotionally. He just won’t admit to that second part and keeps people at a distance. His deity is Inush, Goddess of Prosperity, who he grew up with in his father’s household.

Ilmus – Cleric of Thraea, Goddess of Magic and Knowledge. He loves odd little facts and putting things together. He has no natural talent for arcane magic, but Divine Magic satisfies his interest in spell-casting. He has recently reconnected with his half-sister, the Princess of Iara, having been appointed her personal priest/assistant, a role he is not entirely comfortable with.

Lily – Unlike her BFF, Brannick, Lily never knew her family and would like one. As far as she’s concerned, Brannick is family, though whether she considers him more of a brother or a prospective husband depends on the day. Right now, she’s satisfied with her position with Sly Alem, but feeling that there could be something better. So far as worship goes, she keeps tokens for Inush and Zabbas, God of Shadows and Secrets, and the Lady of the Moon.

Mathias Collisten – He is looking for material for his poetry/song-writing and also for adventure. He is kind of restless, doesn’t like the quiet, doesn’t like to be alone, and faithless.

Jana Gilmer – Is really innocent. She believes the best in everyone, including the races she’s often been told are evil and blood-thirsty. She grew up in a comfortable wealthy merchant family, and enjoys her creature comforts, though she never complains about living rough or being dirty. She wants to make her family proud, as her parents were uncertain about her choice of life, hoping she would settle down and marry, or Captain one of their ships, or dedicate herself to a Temple. She worships St. Maelys, as her uncle Varno did, rather than Inush or Dalmae, God of Waters.
mirroredprince

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top